The European Commission wants to amend one of the EU’s founding texts to more forcefully fight violence against women, LGBTQ+ and other minorities. The Commission is set to sign off on a plan to criminalise hate speech and violence through EU-wide rules. The rules would enable the Commission to put forward laws to punish misogyny and anti-LGBTQ+ abuse online and offline. The proposal comes in the wake of social movements like the #MeToo campaign and Black Lives Matter protests.
- We will not register as a foreign-funded organization
- European Prison Litigation Network: “Any advances in the law and legislation can be undermined and must be constantly monitored.”
- International Symposium “Domestic Law in a Global Upswing? The Strained Relationship between International and Domestic Law”
- European Parliament supported sanctions against Poland and Hungary for breaching of LGBTQ+ rights
- Russia proposes banning any discussion of LGBT topics in the public sphere